Thursday, November 4, 2010

First acrylic painting



In an attempt to kickstart this whole 'artist' thing, which I temporarily suspended because I wasn't sure if I really wanted to do it (and still don't know), I have finally bought a few acrylic paints and decided to do some stuff with them.

I wanted to find something I could just copy, a still life of sorts, so that I could just focus on playing with the paint and learning how they work, mix etc. I painted on some crappy old paper that I had lying around. It turned out ok, it's pretty difficult, but I enjoyed it. I realised that all the digital painting I've done has been good for helping me understand color, saturation etc, but that the difficulties I have there are still translated across, as WELL as having to mix my own colors, and work with the medium.

Don't know how i'm supposed to get really dark values, I think black paint deadens everything but mixing my own didn't seem to work, so I'll read up on that. Good dark/lights is always something I need to pay attention to anyway.

But for now I'm trying to just enjoy it and keep myself actually working at it.

No comments: